Summary:Thirty countries gathered in Brussels on 10 and 11 December for the third meeting of the Environment and Health Task Force (EHTF) of the World Health Organization (WHO). The countries agreed to boost action to free Europe from asbestos-related diseases as well as exposures to secondhand tobacco...
Summary:Health professionals, such as doctors, nurses, midwives, physiotherapists and others, can in the future obtain a certificate in environmental medicine. During their studies they will receive basic training to this end as well as continuing education in environmental medicine.
Evolution of the project
- 28 November 2012: a workshop on the Belgian results has been held in Brussels.
- 23-24 October 2012: a meeting where the results of all countries were compared took place in Cyprus.
- 17 September 2012: the Belgian participants are informed of their individual results.
- 30 March 2012: the measurements of the pollutants in hair and urine samples have come to an end. The results are currently being processed.
- 12 March – 15 March 2012: a training took place in Copenhagen that week, in preparation of the data processing by all participating European countries.
- Late February 2012: the Belgian labs that will carry out the analyses of the urine and hair samples have succeeded all ring tests within the European project (ICI21 , EQUAS 1, EQUAS 22).
- 14 February 2012: fieldwork is concluded. Hair and urine samples were collected from 129 mothers and 129 children.
- 14 December 2012: a film team came to record the ongoing fieldwork in a primary school in Brakel.
- 28 November – 2 December 2011: all countries participating in the European study met in Brussels.
- 26 October 2011: the Belgian campaign is officially announced through a press release.
- 11 October 2011: Recruiting and sampling on children between 6 and 12 year of age and their mother started through Belgian primary schools.
- 1 October 2010: a measurement campaign of pollutants (human biomonitoring) in children of school age and their mother begins and runs until late 2012.
1 Interlaboratory Comparison Investigation (ICI)
2 External Quality Assessment Scheme (EQUAS)